Saturday, January 16, 2010

First week of classes

In my crazy ambition to find the perfect schedule and combination of classes for my semester in Puebla, this first week of classes I shadowed eleven courses and would have gone to more had if not been for some professors not even showing up (alas, this is not uncommon in Mexico). Among the classes that I shadowed are: Mexican anthropology, Political exterior of Mexico (International relations), Agriculture and Sustainability (Econ), Rural sustainability and development (Econ), Contemporary Trends I (Literature), Contemporary Trends II (Literature), Mexican Revolution (History), History of the Modern World (History), Colonial Crisis of the Second Republic (History). I’ll continue to go to six of the classes next week, but hopefully by the end of the week I’ll narrow it down to four.

The classes are all part of the public university here, BUAP (Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla). The BUAP, which is apparently one of the top public universities in Mexico, is composed of two campuses. The more modern campus, el CU, most closely resembles what one thinks of as a typical university. The buildings are white and rather stark, and students are commonly found sitting on the benches and at the tables outside chatting or taking a coffee break. This is where I’ll take my economics course(s). In contrast, el Centro is the campus located smack in the middle of the downtown historic district. It has a very relaxing, European feel to it and the academic buildings are sandwiched in-between churches and other architectural marvels. I’ll take history and literature courses in el Centro. Both campuses are within a 45-minute commute from the house. I’m looking forward to being able to experience student life on both campuses because the atmospheres at each are so different from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment