Friday, January 8, 2010

Arrival in Puebla

It’s now my second day in Puebla, the town where I will live for the rest of the semester. I’m happily moved in with my host family. The mother, Dolores, and I are already chatting like familiar neighbors. With her live her husband, and the youngest of their three daughters who is around 24 years old. The household seems to bustle with activity between visits from Dolores’ three grandchildren to her four siblings who also live in the surrounding area. The family provides me with a room of my own, a shared bathroom, and three home-cooked meals a day. Plus they have a Labrador retriever. It seems pretty ideal thus far.
Today we saw the historic center of Puebla for the first time and I’m already in love with the European feel of this town. Even though my host family lives in a rather urban neighborhood with supermarkets like any U.S. city, the charm of the historic center that’s just a 20 minutes bus ride away balances this out. I’m looking forward to spending some quality time in one of the nice cafes reading class material throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment