Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Oaxaca (day 4)

The day started out with blazing sun and finished with an evening downpour of rain. Fortunately I timed my activities to mitigate the two extremes. First thing in the morning I took a tour of the botanical gardens, which were once part of the monastery and Iglesia de Santo Domingo. I most enjoyed learning about the medicinal plants; it"s funny how sometimes the plants that most resemble weeds are the most versatile in function. Then, with a small map of the museums and main attractions of Oaxaca city in hand, I started to go down the list one by one. My two favorites were the Casa de las Pintores, home to paintings by Oaxacan contemporary artists, and the Casa Juarez, the house where former Mexican president Benito Juarez grew up. He is remembered as the first Mexican president to come from an indigenous upbringing, and for having along advocated separation of church and state. Then in the late afternoon I inadvertantly stepped inside one of the public libraries. With my chocolate investigation constantly at the back of my mind, I inquired about any books about Oaxacan gastronomy and, well, you can probably guess how I spent the rest of the afternoon. I stepped out of the library just as it was starting to rain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madeline, it's fun to read your chocotravels. we received your postcard the other day, have not been to the interior of Mexico yet. When we get our next raise feb 4 2012 we will be able to start traveling again, it's hard to stay put. Our last trip to Mexico was 2006, 3 weeks in Zihua, seems like years ago. Our favorite place there was the farmer's market. Surprised?

    During our 2004 trip to Loreto, in the Baja, we met a retiree from Idaho who took time out to talk Paul into "counting his summers" post retirement. Paul put in for retirement as soon as we returned. No regrets at all, it is like being reborn.

    Paul and I are captivated by Mexico, its people, the food, the food, the scenery and the architecture. Houses as works of art.

    Some memories fade and some are retained over time, having this blog to look back on will be a jewel. write more

    Terry and Paul

    ReplyDelete